Mobile Legal & Social Justice Initiative
We administer a permanent program called the Mobile Legal and Social Justice Initiative (“MLSJI”), whose purpose is to enhance employment law services in community legal clinics all throughout southwestern Ontario. MLSJI employs three employment lawyers to provide these services. In 2016, we received funding for MLSJI, which at that time was a three-year pilot project.
An independent review of the pilot project this year found that the three lawyers had recovered over half a million dollars in unpaid wages since its launch, an average of $10,145 per client for employment standards violations, wrongful dismissals and human rights issues. The report found that the capacity of the 15 legal clinics that offer employment law services grew from three legal clinics to all the clinics that serve southwestern Ontario.
That success was also featured in the Toronto Star in June 2019. The article is available online at: https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2019/06/16/pilot-project-aimed-at-protecting-workers-fears-impact-of-ford-government-cuts.html.
What the Initiative Does:
- Helps clients with issues related to wrongful dismissal, employment standards, some employment insurance, recovery of unpaid wages and damages, reprisals arising out of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and the Employment Standards Act, and human rights;
- Provides summary advice, as well as providing more fulsome representation in cases where there is merit and the client meets the financial eligibility requirements established by LAO
- Works with clinics to enhance their capacity to provide summary employment advice
- Works to advance the rights of migrant workers in southern Ontario
- Provides public legal education seminars throughout southern Ontario.
Who We Serve:
MLSJI provides employment services to the following legal clinics:
- Chatham-Kent Legal Clinic
- Community Legal Assistance Sarnia
- Elgin-Oxford Legal Clinic
- Grey-Bruce Community Legal Clinic
- Legal Clinic of Guelph and Wellington County
- Waterloo Region Community Legal Services
- Windsor-Essex Bilingual Legal Clinic
- Hamilton Community Legal Services
- Niagara Community Legal Services
- Huron Perth Community Legal Services
- Brant, Haldimand Norfolk Community Legal Services
Please contact any of the above listed legal clinics to obtain more information about the program or to access our services.